Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pink Brazilian Clay Moisturizing Soap

A few days ago I posted a blog post about my favorite Bramble Berry products, two things I thought that a newbie soaper would find useful as they begin to learn. That post served as my application for the S.O.A.P Panel, a panel of people who gets to try out some new mystery fragrances from Bramble Berry and give their opinions on them. And.... I was chosen (along with some other very cool soapers)!! YAY! I am totally excited to get to be a part of the panel and get my hands on some new scents!

Just had to get that out there :)

Anyhoo, it's winter. And winter means cold air and dry skin. I loathe dry, itchy skin. I wanted to make a bar of soap that would help alleviate some of that itchiness. I also wanted to try using some clay as a colorant in the soap. I ended up choosing a pink clay from the Brazilian Clay Sampler I bought a little while ago. The bar is scented with Grapefruit Lily fragrance, which is lovely, and I really like the contrast between the creamy white of the soap with the somewhat translucent looking clay layer.

Still a little soft on the inside when I cut it. I think I will use a little more clay next time for a deeper color and more contrast on the top.
A nice textured top.
The bar is still curing, so I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but if it is as soft and creamy as it looks, heaven! There was not a problem with any step while I was making it. I thought the fragrance might accelerate trace a bit since it was a floral, but everything went smooth. I also had the idea to leave out the Sodium Lactate (an additive that helps cold process harden up in silicone molds) and see what happened if I tried beeswax to aid in hardening. I also stuck it in the fridge to prevent gel phase. The only issue came when it was time to unmold. I left it alone in the mold for 5 days, but when I unmolded it was still very soft on the bottom. It had indents from me pushing it out of the mold, and while I was able to smooth them out, it is now just getting to feel hard after about a week on the drying rack. I don't know if it was the fact I made a conditioning bar of soap with the beeswax and no lactate, the few hours it spent in the fridge, or the combination of both. But even with the softness, I like the way it came out looks wise, I can't wait to see how it feels.

Recipe (all ingredients from Bramble Berry):

  • Castor Oil - 5%
  • Avocado Oil - 10%
  • Coconut Oil, 76 degree - 20%
  • Mango Butter - 5%
  • Palm Oil - 28%
  • Rice Bran Oil - 30%
  • Beeswax - 2%
  • Aloe Vera Liquid substituted for 50% of water
  • .5 tsp Pink Clay
  • .5 tsp Titanium Dioxide/Olive Oil mix
  • .5oz Grapefruit Lily Fragrance Oil



6 comments:

  1. Congrats on being appointed to the S.O.A.P. panel Sue...you'll have so much fun! This soap recipe looks wonderfully moisturizing, it will be worth the extra wait for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cee Gee! I am looking forward to the mystery scents!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on being chosen to be part of the S.O.A.P. Panel! How exciting to try all those mystery fragrances!
    Your soap sounds really wonderful for the skin, Sue. I think the color is very pretty as is. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I like the color too, I guess I just envisioned more of a pastel pink, but I think it suits the grapefruit scent well :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats again on being chosen for the S.O.A.P. panel, Sue! That should be lots of fun. Your soap looks so pretty - I like the wispy layers. I made a soap a while back with red Moroccan clay and just loved it. Your recipe looks so nice and nourishing, too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you too. I can't wait to see what we both think!

      Delete

*Holding out piggy bank* I would love to get your $0.02!